1. How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization by Thomas E. Woods Jr
This title which is a pleasant read continues to do well! Great to see that Cathoilics are interested in bolstering their faith and finding out what positive benefits it has offered the world at large. Great title for the Feast of St. Benedict (tomorrow).
2. Catholicism for Dummies by John Trigilio (Author), Kenneth Brighenti (Author)
This is a perrenial bestseller, indicating that many think of themselves as pretty dumb when it comes to the Faith, an indictment of how we are presenting our faith and indication to publishers that we need to be pretty basic in presenting it.
3. God Is Near Us: The Eucharist, the Heart of Life by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, et al (Benedict XVI)
This is a good book, but I would recommend #17 on the list, The Spirit of the Liturgy over it.
4. Salvation Is from the Jews: The Role of Judaism in Salvation History by Roy H. Schoeman
An Ignatius book from 2004 with great reviews posted on Amazon. This must be one of those word of mouth bestsellers. Sounds interesting when you read that the author tackles the holocaust in light of God's plan!
5. Catechism of the Catholic Church
Not surprising to see this here, actually more surprising is how little it usually shows up on the Amazon list of Catholic bestsellers. I think this tells us something about those shopping for books online versus in stores where the Catechism is a perenial number 1 bestseller.
6. The How-To Book of the Mass: Everything You Need to Know but No One Ever Taught You by Michael Dubruiel
This is essentially a "dummies" book about the Mass and for the past six months it has been a consistent top ten book on Amazon's Catholic bestseller's list. I'm guessing that this is also due to "word of mouth" and I hope that those who enjoy it will explore another book on the Mass that I've written more recently, How To Get The Most Out Of The Eucharist and a book on the living out the Mass entitled The Power of the Cross: Applying the Passion of Christ to Your Life.
7. The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth by Scott Hahn
The third "Eucharist" book in the top ten. Scott show's how the Book of Revelations is about the Mass we celebrate on earth.
8. Catechism of the Catholic Church : Second Edition
Not a double post, just a slighly more expensive edition (hardback). I wonder if this doesn't signal a merging of bookstore buying habits with online book buying habits of the Catholic market?
9. Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri Nouwen
The mandatory Nouwen title...this one published by Image in 1994. A book about reconciliation.
10. The Theology of the Body According to John Paul II: Human Love in the Divine Plan (Parish Resources) by John Paul, Pauline Books & Media
Remains a "hot" topic among Catholics. Here they go to the source, Pope John Paul II!
Outside the Top Ten and Recommended:
# 73 on the list:
# 73 on the list:
A great way to pray "seven times" a day with the psalms and scriptures. This is a modern rendering of The Short Breviary but there is nothing "short" about it. A great way to pray the Scriptures daily in the tradition of St. Benedict! Highly recommended!!!